Geosynthetics for Tunnels
Tunnel construction, maintenance and longevity depends on optimal drainage, waterproofing, sealing, portals, erosion control and load support. Geofabrics can provide engineering solutions and testing to reduce costs, while maintaining design life.
- Optimised solutions for drainage and filtration to help prevent water infiltration which can cause deterioration and damage
- Sealing and waterproofing to protect and safeguard against corrosion
- Cushioning protection and pavement stabilisation solutions
Tunnels require a drainage system to intercept and evacuate water quickly. In this way hydrostatic pressures are reduced, and water is prevented from entering the tunnel if there are weak points in the structure.
Water infiltration can lead to deterioration and substantial damage of structural and functional components of the tunnel.
Megaflo Green, Bidim Green and Filterwrap Green, Cordrain and Enkadrain product solutions are suitable for walls, under lining and flooring.
Tunnel & Underground Works
One of the most cost-effective ways to increase the useful life of a tunnel is through sealing and waterproofing. Tunnel sealing or waterproofing protects against corrosion and safeguards the structure, as well as reducing maintenance costs and repairs.
A special waterproofing layer is used to protect the tunnel structures from the influence of groundwater and penetration of excessive moisture into the interior space of the tunnel. Reliable, solid and durable waterproofing material can significantly extend the period of the facility’s successful operation.
The waterproofing system in tunnels caters for three important functions:
- Separates the subsequent bearing structure from the excavation support to avoid constraining forces
- Protects the inner shell from possible aggressive underground water
- Protects the traffic area from underground water
Geofabrics have a range of geocomposite waterproofing product solutions including Elcoseal Geosynthetic Clay Liner (GCL), Enkadrain, Geosheet and Cordrain.