Maccaferri® gabion basket is a double-twisted "DT" steel wire mesh which is interconnected with similar units to form flexible, permeable and monolithic structures such as mass gravity retaining walls, channel linings, revetments and weirs for hydraulic and erosion control projects.
The gabion baskets are site assembled and packed with locally quarried or imported rock which is carefully hand-placed along all exposed faces of the baskets to ensure the best aesthetic earth retaining structure.
The innovative PoliMac® polymer coating is applied for gabions that are to used in more aggressive environments, or where a longer design life is required to offer greater resistance to abrasion, chemical aggressions, UV rays and performance in cold weather.
WHY CHOOSE MACCAFERRI GABION BASKETS?
- Increased durability with GalMac® and GalMac G10 corrosion resistant metallic coatings, proven to outperform standard galvanized mesh by up to five times
- PoliMac polymer coating provides 10x resistance to abrasion, 2x resistance to chemicals and 4x resistance to UV rays compared to traditional PVC coated wire mesh products
- By trapping sediment and seed, it enhances the biodiversification and the growth of vegetation, inducing CO2 sequestration
- Reduces carbon emissions by 10 times compared to the construction of concrete walls
- Flexibility and reliability by accommodating large differential settlements without affecting structural integrity
- Cost savings when compared to other systems such as mass gravity boulder walls, grouted rock walls and mass concrete block walls as it reduces the amount of material needed to build a wall
- Can be constructed between 5 to 10 metres high with flush or stepped faces, front or rear
- Independently verified and tested with BBA-HAPAS certification
- Supported with design assistance using Maccaferri GAWAC 3.0 software available to download here
- Supported with specialist installation tools for hire including pneumatic lacing tools lacing or you can purchase "C" rings and preformed bracing wires to halve assembly time
Our recommended specialist gabion installers can construct sample units on-site before works begin to ensure products are installed as per our guidelines.